Re: Profile APS

"Thomas Vickers" <redroach at flex_net> wrote:
> Just wanted to let everyone know that my 55 gallon with the Profile Aquatic
> Plant soil substrate is making my crypts go nuts.  I put in about 3 inches
> and nothing else and I have never seen crypts take off.
> I am only using  2 40W GE Sunlight bulbs, and I put some aquatic plant tabs
> in the bottom of the substrate.

The growth of the Crypts is probably mostly linked with the use of the
substrate fertilizer tablets. Rooted aquatic plants of all types will
grow dramatically faster when given a small amount of substrate
fertilization provided that other factors such as light, the water
minerals (potassium, calcium, magnesium) and CO2 are sufficient.

Many of these special aquatic plant soils probably contain at least some
of the nutrients that help plant growth. Adding potassium to a substrate
medium is a good trick. Calcium and magnesium is also very easy to
supplement in a commercial product by combining a small ratio of
dolomite granules.

At a later time, I bet James will have a report on some fritted glass
products... (just to whet your appetite)

Steve Pushak                              Vancouver, BC, CANADA

Visit "Steve's Aquatic Page"      http://home.infinet.net/teban/