Re: Dropping KH

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Michael Rubin wrote:

> I've been seeing drop in KH recently, sometimes as much as 1/2 degree in a
> 24 hour period.  I've also seen a commensurate drop in GH at roughly half
> the rate of the KH drop.  I had been mitigating (successfully) with
> bicarbonate but have switched to CaCO3.
>
> Has anyone seen this before or have an idea what might be causing it?

Nitrification will drop the KH.  A snail population explosion will drop
both KH and GH.  Another possibility is that you might have a mixture of
organics being released into your water from peat or driftwood (or maybe
even from a dirty filter).  A fairly strong organic acid can drop the KH.
Other organic acids will act as water softening agents and drop the GH.

Aside from that, I can't think of a thing.

Roger Miller