Re: ick and medications for planted tanks

>Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 16:54:35 -0400
>From: "Alysoun McLaughlin" <alysoun.mclaughlin at ncsl_org>
>Subject: Re: Ich

>I thought ich was usually present in tap water?  I was told, once upon a
>time, that it was more or less guaranteed to be present in tap water and
>thus could not be prevented, although only unhealthy fish were likely to
>succumb.

>Was I told wrong?

>Alysoun McLaughlin
>Wheaton, Maryland

No you are correct. About the recent thread of curing ick in planted tanks,
there are several safe commercial medications available that are harmless to
loaches, nitrifying bacteria and plants. This is better than using salt,
with an addition larger than 1 gram of salt per litre sensitive plants
will already get in trouble, most pathogens not.

Hugo