Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 23:09:52 EDT
From: Zxcvbob at aol_com
Subject: trimming "jungle val"
My jungle val has leaves over 3 feet long in my 20 gallon aquarium. They
sort of wind around at the surface. It is becoming a problem because they
are blocking too much light. When I trim the leaves, they stop growing and
slowly "rust", start to die, and become a home for algae. I don't remember
this being a problem when the aquarium was unheated and had goldfish. I
though Vallisneria was a grass, and thus grew from the base rather than the
leaf tips. Should I be able to trim the leaves when they reach the surface,
or do I have to remove the outer leaves entirely when they get too big.
regards,
bob