Re: Newbie needs some advice

MBCreative writes:

> I would be very interested in hearing about some "symptoms" and their
causes.

>  I have a lot of plants in a small tank and they seem to do fine without
mush

>  fuss, but every once in a while something goes wrong. Here are some
>  "symptoms" I've noticed indifferent plants over the years--now tell me
what
>  generally do these mean?
>
>  Leafy plants turn yellow
>  Leaf loss
>  little holes in crypt leaves
>  brown tips on needly plants
>  plants turn into soggy wilted lettuce
>  leaves split down the center
>
>  I know in my terrestrial garden what these things usually mean, but what
do
>  they mean in aquatics? Is there a book?

There is something much better than a book.  You will find it at
www.thekrib.com.  The pages are indexed logically so you can go to the plants
section, then find symptoms.

I'll take a guess that the plants turning to wilty lettuce were
cryptocorynes.  They tend to do this when water conditions change suddenly.
It's commonly called "crypt melting", and the plants will recover.

Bob Dixon