measuring nitrates

I've posted before about high nitrates in my 20 gallon.
i recently began adding K and Mg to alleviate noticeable nutrient
deficiencies and perhaps diminish hte excess NO3.
when should i test for nitrates again?
i tested before my last water change and will do so again tomorrow before my
next.
should i test more often?  my test kit only gets a 12mg/l measurement range.

tia
Joe

For a More Relaxed and Economical Approach to Fish Keeping,
Visit the Newly Remodeled Joe’s Aquatic Lounge at
"http://members.tripod.com/~SubmarinR/"
Now with more Images and More Detailed Information!