MH Ballast and clips for stem plants

Hi folks,

Does anyone have experience quieting a noisy ballast? On the 90 gal plant
tank just set up, we have a 400w HydroFarm MH fixture with an enclosed
ballast, and find its hum rather disturbing.  It seems like the only real
option is to go with a remote ballast under the tank, and then try to block
the noise some way.
Hopefully there is another option out there.

Also my brother in law is being driven crazy by the tendency for his stem
plants to free themselves from the substrate and flaot to the surface.
Will they stop doing this after a week or two of striking roots, or is this
a constant problem with a solution we don't know about?  He mentioned
reading somewhere about small clips that attach to the base of a stem and
act as an anchor in the gravel, but that seems a bit off to me.  Needless
to say, he can't relocate the reference.

Thanks for your patience.

Thayer

----
Thayer Syme