substrate fertilizer

my  local supplier sells bags of red  soil. he   says  that's mud taken
from his  field  where he  cultivated his aquatic plant.  is   it what  you
calls  laterite ?  is  it  ok  if i mix it with the subsrate in  a tank that
use UGF  ? my supplier use it  in his tank   and   the plants   looks very
good. should i mixed  it with the gravel  or  put it before the gravel  ?
is fertilizer tablets that used for garden plant okay  for  aquatic plants
?
thanks