Re: C. japonica Stocking

In a message dated 7/29/99 1:01:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

<< 1) How many do you think should be in my "micro" (2.5 gal) plant tank?  The
 only other inhabitants are red ramshorn snails. >>

Amano suggests placing 20 of them in a 10 gallon tank (2 shrimps : 1 gallon).
So 5 seems to be about the right number of shrimp for a 2.5 gallon tank.
Keeping too many of them in the absence of an alternative food source will
force them to eat your plants. Keeping too few may increase the likelihood of
an algae outbreak. However, since you won't be adding any fish-food to the
tank, you probably won't get a lot of algae. That means the shrimp won't have
any algae or fish-poo to eat. I'd say 3 or 4 is a very good recommendation.
Yay for your LFS.

<< Is there alot of variation in the coloring/marking of C. japonica shrimp?

Yes. I have fifty of them in a 29 gallon tank. They vary considerably in
coloration and transparency. These qualities tend to change with age. The
yellow line grows more pronounced with age. Moreover, the intensity and size
of the spots on the side of the shrimp vary considerably. I have shrimp with
spots so faint that they are almost undetectable and others with large,
pronounced spots in-line along the length of the shrimp's tail.

Now for my two cents. I love these guys! They eat everything from detritus to
BBA. They are worth every penny. And when you buy fifty of them, those
pennies add up! :)

Dan P