Riccia & Eleocharis

Has anyone tried keeping Riccia down with Eleocharis Amano-style? The Tropica
sight said that Amano plants the Eleocharis first then lays the Riccia on top
and keeps it down by sprinking gravel on top. Eventually the Eleocharis
entangles in the Riccia. In a word, I'm a little scared by the complexity of
it all. Usually, you just plant 'em. Anyhow, can those of you who've already
tried this give me some pointers on how to do it well? How much Eleocharis do
I need to use to keep the Riccia down? That is, how far apart should I space
the individual plants? Doesn't the Eleocharis spread like crazy after
constant trimming? All help is greatly appreciated!

By the way, a word of warning. The _sinking_ Riccia is a major pain in the
rear! Once it's in the tank you can't get it out. Moreover, the trimmings
don't float. I guess that's pretty obvious but it makes it impossible to get
the trimmings out and you get tons of Riccia pieces drifting through the
tank. It's maddening! Oh well. At least it was free. Thanks anyway Tom.

Dan P