Re: Anubias nana, pearl grass, GH,KH

>Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:16:24 -0500
>From: "Berryman, David" <DBerryma at AspenMed_org>

>looks like?  Also the GH, and KH in my tank is almost 0-2 on both.  I only
>use RO water.  I add iron, "Black Water", "Cycle", amonia detox, and CO2 (1
>bubble every 3-4 seconds).  I am getting the impression that my gh or kh
>should be higher.  Is this something that my tank is lacking?

Cycle *if* it works/does anything at all should not be needed on an
established tank. Ammonia detox shouldn't be needed on an established tank
and shouldn't be used in a planted tank (established or not). Both the
bacteria and the plants want the ammonia (and/or its derivitives).

Why do you use RO water at all? Is there something nasty (besides
chlorine/chloramine) in your tap water? Tap water usually contains various
compounds that your plants actually need. If you remove them then you have
to go through the trouble of adding them back in. Some of them are likely
contained in your 'black water' mix but not all.

Good uses for RO water are: for marine tanks where sea-salt mixtures are
going to be added to the water. These add the essential things that marine
fishes need some of which were there to start with (before the RO process)
but in indeterminable quantities so it's easier to start with 'pure' water.
The other use is when you want to soften your water somewhat, but not
entirely, so you are going to mix it back with tap water. There are some
other uses but I think you'll need to do a little more reading and
questioning before getting into any.

Shannon