Re: Fan noise in CustomSeaLife ABS hoods

(a bit behind on my APD reading.)

Hi Michael,

I've got a 24" CustomSeaLife ABS hood with 2 55-watt bulbs,
though lately I've only been running one of the bulbs on
my 29 gallon tank.  When I first got it the fan noise drove
me nuts, too!  Since the bulbs don't run very hot (even
without the fan), I decided to just replace the fan with
a quiet 12VDC computer case fan.  I used a small DC power
transformer that can output at a range of voltages, so I
can run the fan slower (and quieter) if I want to.  Usually
it's set at 4V, but on hot days I sometimes turn it up to
the full 12V.  It's been working great for 7 months now.

Oh, I also stuck small (1mm thick) strips of rubber at the
corners of the fan before mounting it to the case, to help
avoid vibration noise.

On the con side, I'm sure this method voids any warranty on the
hood/bulbs.  :)

Hope this helps,
-Heide

--