Re: KATI / ANI vs. RO /DI

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Louis Lin wrote:

> I am getting the feeling that KATI is a great solution for people with hard
> and alkaline water.  KATI will replace the calcium and magnesium ions with
> H+ and the H+ will neutralize the carbonate in the water to reduce pH and
> produce CO2.  And the KATI is rechargable with HCl, which is commonly
> available.  And there is no waste water.

If the KATI is completely efficient there will never be enough bicarbonate
in the water to offset all of the H+ that might be produced by the
exchanger.  The resulting water will have no alkalinity to speak of, and a
really low pH.  What you would have is a weak solution of CO2, sulfuric
acid, hydrochloric acid and nitric acid along with some inert things like
silica.

Roger Miller