Re: KATI / ANI .vs. RO/DI

Andrew wrote:

> Disadvantages:
>      I'm not aware of any, perhaps someone out there is?

You already mentioned the recharge procedure and its dangers.  In addition
to being dangerous you might find it difficult to do. There's the
possibility that the resin will not recharge fully and will not last long
on a recharge.  Also, the resin will probably eventually break down.  It
may leak organics into the product water when it does break down.  Back
when I worked in a lab we never tried recharging the deionizer resin.

Deionizers only remove charged solutes.  They won't remove silica,
some organics or (dare I mention) chloramine.  There's probably other
things as well.

> I do know that Kent Marine does not recommend using their DI anion -
> removing resins alone, because the life of the resin is reduced. Why
> this is so has never  been explained to me.  Any ideas?

I haven't seen the Kent unit, but probably the DI unit follows the RO
unit, Configured that way, the DI would see water with much of it's solute
content already removed and it would last a long time.  If you use it on
raw water it won't last nearly as long.

Roger Miller