Re: Guppy problems

> From: Rsimoneaux at aol_com
> Subject: Guppy problems
>
> I am not sure what the actual chemicals are, I need to get a water analysis
> from my water company. I thought that the RO unit would take care of the
> Chemicals, it did not. My believe now is that it is either high chlorine or
> chloramine left after RO.

	I made some enquiries about RO and chloramine, and was given to
understand that a good RO setup would remove it, but that a low-priced one
might not.

> My water out the tank is 8 to 8.5, so I have had to lower it for the guppies.

	Baensch suggests pH 7.0 to 8.5, and GH 10 to 30.  My guppies do just
fine at pH 8.0 to 8.5, and GH at 20 or more.

> I do not really know much about chemistry, I was one of those art orientated
> people who failed chemistry. Proper Ph and Baking soda was previously suggest
> to me as a possible solution. I though the Sodium bicarbonate was helping
> with the hardness.

	I think it would be a good idea if you read the material on the Krib
and elsewhere about water chemistry.  In short:  "Hardness" is Ca++ and Mg++,
so sodium bicarbonate won't add any.  It will add "alkalinity" or "KH".

> What would you suggest I do to make my water better suited
> for my guppies? How should I add Ca++/Mg++ and How much?

	I would use powdered CaCO3, at about 200 - 300 mg/L.  It will take
quite a while to dissolve.

--
Paul Sears        Ottawa, Canada