KATI / ANI vs. RO / DI

Hello all,

     I just got off the phone with a tech rep at Pet Warehouse.  I wanted to
know
if the ANI (anion removing DI filter) could be used by itself to remove PO4
from
my tap water.  He didn't really have an answer, but recommended that the ANI
be
used with the Kati, (the cation - removing unit, designed to be used together
produce pure water) which will cost me ~ $229.(Both units) I can get a Kent
Marine RO/DI Maxxima unit for the same price, but I'm not sure if Kent resins
can be recharged?
     The Kati/Ani solution has a few advantages:

1.  Both can be recharged with HCl (Kati) and Sodium Hydroxide (Ani)
(And yes they are nasty, caustic compounds, but wearing goggles, gloves, and
an
apron should do the trick)  The Kati 2 (the larger size) is rated at around
2000 gallons between recharges, which will last me ~ 2 years before I need to
reach for the acid.
The Ani 2 is similar.

2.  Can produce up to 360 gallons per day. (The Kent RO unit mentioned above
can
only produce 50 gallons per day)

3.  No Wastewater!!  The RO units dump 4 - 6 gallons of wastewater for every
1 gallon of pure water produced.  What a waste.  I don't live in a water -
restricted area like certain areas of CA, but why waste water if you can help
it?
(I suppose I could always save the water and use it in the garden)

Disadvantages:
     I'm not aware of any, perhaps someone out there is?
The only possible disadvantage I can think of is:  After the unit is
recharged, the first 12 gallons of water are thrown out. (I'm guessing this
is to wash out any residual amounts of caustic soda or HCl left over from the
recharge procedure)

     I would like to use the Ani unit alone, to remove PO4, but even though
he(the tech rep) didn't recommend doing this he couldn't give me a specific
reason either.
I do know that Kent Marine does not recommend using their DI anion - removing
resins alone, because the life of the resin is reduced.  Why this is so has
never
been explained to me.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew  (In a somewhat cooler but still very humid Macon, Ga.)