Metal Halide - technical question

I have the opportunity of buying a Metal Halide setup in the UK for a
reasonable figure (which is a miracle in itself for the UK !). The setup
consists of a bulb, reflector & ballast (probably tar) all built into one
unit.

The problem - the unit is a 250 Watt. I am really looking for a 175 Watt
setup. Providing I could find a decent 175 Watt bulb, could I still make use
of the fixture ? I am a little concerned with putting a 175 watt bulb in a
fixture designed for 250 Watt.

Any ideas ?

Andy Moore  -  (andy at ascot_u-net.com)
Poulton-le-Fylde, Nr Blackpool
Lancashire. GB

Treasurer/BBb Tuba Player Poulton-le-Fylde Brass Band
and Aquatic Plant/Discus collector

http://www.ascot.u-net.com/home/Band.htm