Re: chloramine

> Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 16:32:17 -0500
> From: "James Purchase" <jpurch at interlog_com>
> Subject: Re: chloramine

snip...

> Thanks for the warning and the tip Wright. The Toronto waster supply has
> major problems in the summer due to algae blooms in Lake Ontario and I'm
> almost certain that they use chloramine to treat the source water, with the
> levels rising in summer to "smelly" proportions (sometimes the tap water
> smells like a swimming pool).

Contact your water supplier and find out for sure. No sense wasting money if
photographer's hypo will do the job (or overnight aereation). The smell
would indicate chlorine, for the stability of chloramine seems to also
greatly reduce the taste and odor (at least to my aged senses).

Some places have enough natural ammonia that the chloramine appears
naturally, BTW. I think J. F. Kuhns published a number of papers on this,
some years ago -- long before ammonia was deliberately being added. Your
local water analysis is vital in knowing what you are dealing with.

> Would Seachem's Prime work the same way as Amquel?

Sort of. It is a much less stable compound, AFAIK, so it works fine when
very fresh. Smell an older bottle and see what it turns into. ;-) Buy the
smallest container you can. I buy "Amquel" by the pint or quart, because it
keeps so well and is way cheaper.

> Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 20:20:09 -0500
> From: Douglas Bertelsen <dbert at umr_edu>
> Subject: Chloramine Quandry...

snip the math...

> Final Concentration=1.26 mg/L
>
> Still there, but about 1/3 the concentration.
>
> Hope this clears the water.   : )

Yep. And I have accidentally killed both Nothos and Rainbows at far less
than 1 mg/L, too. They are both really tough fish! The "Anubias" of the fish
world! :-)

No one knows the safe residual ammonia level, for sure, should you use hypo
on the above. Spotte has reported that 0.1 ppm (roughly 0.1 mg/L) is enough
to cause permanent gill damage and the resultant stunting of baby fish.

Wright

--

         "DEMOCRACY" is two wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
     "LIBERTY" is a well-armed lamb denying enforcement of the vote.