Re: Chloramine

> Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 19:59:41 EDT
> From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Chloramine

Bob suggested 30% water changes were safe in chloraminated water.

snip...

>  ... Chloramine takes a little
> longer, but it still removes itself.

Yeah, right!

The half-life of chloramine in tap water is up to 5 weeks in many cases.*
The whole purpose of adding the ammonia was to prevent chlorine from
reacting with organics in the water to create carcinogenic trihalomethanes.
The compound is far, far more stable than either ammonia or chlorine alone.

I have killed tough fish with chloramine, so cannot take it as lightly as
Bob.

The total amount from one water service to another varies as much as 5
times, to my personal knowledge, and maybe even more. My accidents have been
here, where the amounts are only about a third of what is used in So. CA, in
parts of the LA system. I'm aware of fishroom near-total wipeouts, there,
using exactly Bob's procedures.

Don't do it, and don't use "Novaqua," to remove it. Use "Amquel." The
"Novaqua" can cause ammonia poisoning when it strips the chlorine, as does
*any* hypo-based dechlor product that "breaks the chlorine ammonia bond."

Wright
*San Francisco water-system biologist, reported to SFAS a few months ago.

--

         "DEMOCRACY" is two wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
     "LIBERTY" is a well-armed lamb denying enforcement of the vote.