activated carbon

Hi all,

Some recent posts have mentioned that activated carbon can be used to remove
the discoloration from aquarium water.  They've got me wondering.  I haven't
used activated carbon in a long time - even when I thought it would be nice
to quickly reduce protein levels - because I had it in my head that
activated carbon leaches phosphate into the water.  Now I'm wondering if
this idea is based upon some good evidence, the source of which I've long
forgotten, or if it is based, perhaps, on a dream.  So I would appreciate it
if someone would set me straight - privately, if it is too mundane a matter
for the digest. Does activated carbon leach phosphates into the acquarium
water?

Regards,
Kim Bryant
kbryant at localnet_com