5 gal set up

I am shortly going to be departing to college and would like to take a
small tank with me.  I have a 5 gal. that I have previously used as a
hospital tank and I was thinking I'd like to plant it and keep a few
small fish.  I would appreciate suggestions for hardy, moderate growth
plants as well as small, hardy community fish I could keep 3-4 of.
Also, anyone out there in the Ft. Collins, CO area, what are your
recommendations for lfs's in the area?  I will most likely buy my fish up
there rather than try to transport them with all my luggage.
Thanks,
Amelia
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.--Alfred, Lord Tennyson