RE Bev Starting Over

Dear Bev

When I first set up my tank (60gal), it was poorly organized, but I just
wanted to give everything a chance to take a hold.  Two months after the
tank cycled and all the plants were doing well, I went away for two weeks
and when I got back, I had a jungle in my tank.  Now that I more or less
knew what was happening, I decided to do some major pruning and major it
turned out to be,  I tossed 25 gallons of various plants  (all the plants
had produced offspring.  Those with runners were removed in strings up to 6
ft in length!  I started with 3 swords and removed 8 and this is with 2
still in the tank, the stemed plants were bushes, the vals were 6-8 ft in
length!).  I think I over did it.  Before I knew it, the tank was bare, so
with out intending to do so, I now had to start over.

The few plants I had in the tank were carefully pruned further to get
cuttings or split, so that I could re plant.  Most plants after this major
prune stopped growing for a while, or progressed very slowly.  For the
first time, I also started to get hair algae.  I hadn't had it before and
maybe there was alot more light due to the near empty tank and a lot less
plants to absorb the nutrients. This went on for two weeks, and I carefully
pruned to try to encourage new growth.

A month has gone by now, 3 X 25% water changes and thank goodness  it's all
starting to come back.

Another thing I noted was that the water in the tank, before I started
pruning or ripping out plants, was crystal clear!  No, no, no, I really
mean "crystal" clear.  The tank was so "bright".  Must have been due to the
fact that it was a really stable and balanced environment ( I am assuming,
as thing were growing well and all the fish were health).  I can only hope
to achieve it again soon.

Hope this helps.

Alfred