RE: Setting up 6' tank

> "Roger S. Miller" <rgrmill at rt66_com> wrote:
> > I'm worried that if I go to a 6 foot long tank the length may
> squelchI the
> > advantage of having a nice depth of field.  My alternative would be
> to use
> > something like a 4-foot long, 90 gallon tank - or maybe 2 :).  Does
> anyone
> > want to sway my opinion?  How is lighting best arranged in a 6 foot
> long
> > tank?

I have an All-glass 180g, 6ftx2ftx2ft.  I think it's a good size,
and good dimension.  24" from front-to-back is very nice.
Of course, now I want something bigger.  ;-)  I'm thinking
8ftx4ftx2ft deep would be good... I could have an "island"
in the middle and run heavy current around it for a circular
pattern.

I hate my lighting... 4x36" flourescent, 8x13w compact
flourescent.  While I like the compact flourescent, I'd
really prefer 3 <small> pendant MH (there are two braces
over the top, leaving three openings in the top).  You
may think about a 220g at 7ft instead of 6ft (still 24"x24")
to avoid the 36" flourescent that I have.

> > My dream aquascape for the tank - at the moment, anyway - is
> centered
> > around a large bit of driftwood and rocks. The substrate would be
> banked
> > up on one side of the center piece (hence my recent question about
> > terracing and maintaining relief in the substrate) and hollowed out
> on the
> > other.  The image would be of a snag in a river stranded at low
> water in a
> > quiet off-channel pool.  The built-up part of the substrate would be
> > covered with low-growing plants and the hollowed-out area on the
> opposite
> > side would be a shadowy retreat for fish.  The back and sides of the
> tank
> > are still a bit misty.  I haven't figured them out yet.
>
> > Comments?  Ideas?

I really like your description of this.  I say "go for it"
(and send me a picture! ;-)

I find that the 6' tank is good for two large scenes, or one
large scene and two small scenes (I have three scenes
at present.)  It should be perfect for your setup.

The only thing that may be superior is if you had the
two 40g like you suggest, and an overflow from one
40g into another (an actual waterfall, not a "U" tube.)
That would give you lots more flexibility for fish and
plant selection.  (That could be hard to set up, though...)
I have two 10g sumps for my 180g like this, and I
really like how that worked out.  It catches settling
mulm and fry, and you can keep a whole new world
in there.

When I get the space I'll set up several tanks in series
like this for a river, and put a huge pump on it. ;-)

Please email me if you are looking for Bacopa gigantea or
Vallisneria gigantea.

--charley
charleyb at cytomation_com