Substrate Heating

I'm about to set up a new 72 gallon tank and I was considering if it would
make sense to heat the substrate in some way.  I don't like the idea of
substrate heating cables because having live wires in my tank just doesn't
seem like the safest thing in the world. Ihave read up on the udea of using
a ugf with a heater in the uplift tubes to destibute the heat. I was
confused about this alternative because I failed to see why the heat goes
down into the subtrate instead of merely going out up the tube. Are there
any other ways of heating the subtrate that are generally accepted?

Thanks,
Adam Weingarten
Javablue at concentric_net