Re: Substrate terracing

>  Can anyone here give me ideas on how to build terraces or other sorts of
>  relief into a substrate so that it both looks natural and stays in place?
>

>  Roger Miller

One way I found that works quite well is inserting pieces of roofing slate
into the substrate. I level about 2 inches of substrate and cut pieces of
roofing slate in strips of 2 1/2", 3", and 3 1/2" wide. Cut enough pieces to
each width so they will fit across the length of your aquarium.

Insert the pieces vertically into the substrate in ascending order from front
to back. Fill the aquarium with the necessary substrate to achieve a slope
from 3 1/2" in the back to 2" in the front. The slate will act as a barrier
to prevent the substrate from leveling out. They will also act as stop to
prevent plant runners (under the substrate) from spreading forward or
backwards.

Tom Bates