Re pumice

Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 08:40:56 EDT
From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
Subject: Re: Pumce

The pumice in question is in the gravel form. It is a sort of natural
sintered glass, and tends to float until it gets wet. It is neutral to the
water, affecting neither pH, GH, KH, nor conductivity.
Snip
it would be great as a bio-filter medium. I suspect it
would out-perform all those plastic balls by about a 5:1 ratio.
Bob

Thanks for the response.  Now for the next question, where can I get some,
what is it sold as, what quantities?

I am currently trying out what the nurseries call "burnt soil" as a
substrate.  I have 1 1/2 " of it at the bottom of the tank covered with 1"
of 2-3 mm gravel.  It is a dark reddish brown in colour .  Will keep you
all posted on the outcome of this experiment

Alfred