Re: Turtles Mating

We have Western Pond turtles on exhibit here at the Monterey Bay
Aquarium, 3 males and a female that regularly breed.  We have attempted
to provide a suitable substrate for the female to lay her eggs but have
not been successful.  This dry area is rather extensive, with several
species of native trees and plants and different types of sand and
dirt.  The female has never made a nest and always drops her eggs in
random dry places around the exhibit.  Maybe it's just the Western Pond
turtle, but I'm pretty sure turtles in general are very particular
about their nest building sites.  A dry area where the turtle can dig
is definitely a must.  Best of luck.

Mark Faulkner