Re: hemoglobin and iron in the aquarium

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, G. Kadar wrote:

[snip]

> Tanks where the fish live on flakes and brine shrimp do not develop hair
> algae even with the addition of some iron-based fertilizers.

I think you may be making a mistake in believing that your hair algae
problem has anything to do with iron.  I've seen severe hair algae
problems in tanks with bare gravel substrate and no fertilization where
fish were fed as you say only with flake food and brine shrimp.

There no doubt are numerous reasons for the hair algae infestation, but in
the cases I've dealt with hair algae was caused mostly by leaving the
lights on too long.  Your case may have some other cause.

Roger Miller

Who wouldn't mind it at all if the list could raise it's level of chatter
above the level of fertilizer.