Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1127

Dave-

I have to disagree on this one.  While I don't think a CO2 controller is a
necessary piece of equipment by any means, I like mine quite a bit.  I've
found that with the high light levels I use I was having extreme daily pH
fluctuations (.5-1 pH point), even with appropriately buffered water.  The
controller leveled those out, and has generally made things a little easier.
The trick to the system is idiot-proofing it.  I make sure I use a needle
valve setting that insures that even if the solenoid stuck open for some
random reason, the pH wouldn't drop below 6, and a reactor that is sized so
that if this were to happen, the drop would be fairly gradual.  I see this
as well within the limits of most of the fish I keep.  On the opposite end
of thing, such as a power failure, that result in the solenoid closing for
long periods of time, the pH doesn't rise much over 7.4, and due to the lack
of serious surface turbulence in the tank, little CO2 is outgassed, slowing
the rate of pH change.  This has happened several times, with no ill
effects.  I think the technology has reached a point that there is little
concern for the scenario you describe, especially if you replace the probe
yearly.  If I were keeping extremely rare or delicate fish, I might worry a
little, but for most of us that's not an issue.

Justin Collins, in Bellingham, WA, which keeps trying to blow itself up.