Re: water conditioning

David Papas <dpapas at io_com> wrote:
> The tap water coming into my house is ringing in at a pH of 10 or a
> little under and a KH that varies between 3 and 4.  What do you think
> would be the best way of going about conditioning this water for the
> purpose of getting a planted tank with some Angel fish going?
> (Preferably 6.5- 7.0 pH, little change in KH if at all possible, yes?)
> I'm working on getting a CO2 rig together, but won't have it complete
> for some time. I have had some recommendations on the Seachem Acid
> Buffer, but I'm concerned about the low KH being a liability there.

Dave:
I live in the Greenbelt area of Austin.  I keep discus, cardinal tetras,
and ottos in a heavily planted 110G aquarium.  IMO you should get the
CO2 "rig" completed and then get the aquarium going.  Sorry, but I have
no experience with the Seachem buffer (although, check to see if it
contains any nitrate and/or phosphate). The C02 will lower the PH to
where you want it and the KH is fine.

After moving here from Houston, I find that Austin water is a blessing
compared to the sludge from Lake Houston (sorry Houston folks, but you
know it's true). In Houston it was RO and reconstitute and all that
hassle.  Now, I use a 1 micron sediment, 1 micron carbon block filter
for the tap water, aerated and heated in a 40 gallon holding tank and
use that directly for water and changes.  Although, for my system I have
to add Magnesium, and Potassium much higher than the "standard" PMDD
formulation, and additionally Calcium.  YMMV...

FYI-
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/water
Austin Water & Wastewater Utility

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/water/watersummary.htm
Austin Water Quality Summary 1st Quarter Averages --
January 1, 1999 to March 31, 1999

Cheers!
Scott Davis
Austin, Texas