Re: Calcium hydroxide and kH

Justin writes:

> Does calcium hydroxide raise kH, and if so, how much do I need to add to 100
>  gallons of water to raise the kH 1 degree?  Also, is there any good reason
>  to raise kH but not GH?  I ask because I am looking to supplement calcium,
>  and I already have a bunch of calcium hydroxide I accidentally got at an
>  auction.  I've been using sodium bicarbonate to raise the kH of my really
>  soft Northwest water, but have been running into problems with low calcium
>  levels for my MTS and (I think) some of my swords.  Anyhow, any help, as
>  usual, is greatly appreciated.

I haven't tried it, but as I remember my chemistry (from Long LOng ago),
hydroxide, which is symbolized as OH-, will raise pH, by removing some of the
H+ ions from your water, but won't do much of anything to change your KH.
Calcium will raise GH, but not KH.  This idea of using CaOH will probably
harden your water and raise pH, but not do for raising KH at all.

Bob Dixon