Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1123

>Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:45:45 -0600
>From: "Shannon Wheeler" <swheeler at tnc_ab.ca>
>Subject: Re: Brown Algae out of control!
>
>>Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 09:47:24 -0700
>>From: Hoa Nguyen <nguyenh at nosc_mil>
>
>>algae eaters.  Why don't you like Otos?  I think they would be great for
>>your situation.  Add about 10 Otos, one dwarf pleco (Peckoltia vittata),
>>and a couple of Farlowellas--and make sure you have some driftwood for
>

>You're suggesting he add 13 or more additional fish to a 20g tank that
>already has 25+ ?
>Isn't it recommended that you have 10g / oto? I thought you meant to add
>these as a temporary measure but then you tell him to manually clean as much
>algae as he can first so this is a maintenance recommendation?

I agree that the suggestion is a little overkill, but I would still add,
say, 6 or so ottos(nothing else). I had a 10G tank a while back that was
infested(pretty well covered all sides) with green algae and I added 4
ottos and (I'm not kidding!) in 24 hours it was pretty much cleared up and
in 48 hours it was all gone. If they eat brown algae anything like green
algae, you should have no problem ridding of this mess in a couple days
with 6 or so ottos.
Now I have a question...Has anyone noticed that they tend to not eat *as
much* algae after the first couple weeks that you have them? Do they become
accustomed to normal food or are they just so starved from the pet store
that they go into an eating frenzy and stop once their belly's are full?