Re: Ascorbic Acid

> From: "Edison C. Yap"
> Subject: Ascorbic Acid

> Has anyone tried to us Ascorbic Acid ( Vitamin C) to lower the PH a bit and
> at the same time provide this type of vitamin for the fishes and plants?
> Does anyone know the effects of putting this vitamin in planted aquarium?
> What is the safe dosage?
Hi Edison,

Acsorbic acid oxidizes (in soln) on exposure to air and light. So, it
may not last long. A 0.5% soln (5 mg/ml) pH = 3 and a 5% soln
(50 mg/ml) pH = 2. I don't know how this will affect the fish or the
system. Do you think your fish are vitamin c defiencent? Most flake
foods have plenty vitamin c and other nutrients. If you use the A.
acid to lower the pH, the CO2-KH-pH table may not be as
functional for you. Add CO2, that'll get it down for you. Hope that
helps.

Jamie

Jamie Johnson
Greenwood, SC