Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1122

Hello Justin,

Calcium hydroxide -- slaked lime -- Ca(OH)2, is a VERY STRONG base! A
saturated solution (about 1000 ppm) has a pH of 12.4.

In soft, unbuffered water Ca(OH)2 will drive the pH too high, in hard
water it will precipitate calcium carbonate. This is the process by
which many municipalities soften their water.

If you want to add calcium to the water, start with marble chips,
dolomite, or coral sand. It is safe and, over some time, will do the
job.

Best,

George