Re: Flowering Echinodorus 'Ozelot'

Ryan Stover asked:

> Will this new growth on the top turn into a little plant like some of the
> other Echinodorus I have seen?

Yep.  If you hold off on clipping it, you might also get new plants where
the flowers are now.  I had a small plantlet on one tip, as you describe,
and so I left the stalk for a while.  While I waited for that to develop
roots, the stalk grew three or four new plantlets further down.

> How long should I let this stalk grow before I cut it?

IMO, as long as you feel like it.  It might be beneficial to wait, since (as
I mentioned above) new plants seem to sprout after a while, if you leave the
flowers on the stalk.

> Is it kind of rare for this plant to be flowering?

Don't know.  Others want to comment on its difficulty level, compared to
other swords, or special triggers that seem to convince it to flower?

Alysoun McLaughlin
Wheaton, Maryland