Re: Flowering Echinodorus 'Ozelot'

Ryan Stover asked about his flowering Ozelot:

Ryan, my Echinodorus 'Ozelots' flower very often, so I would imagine that
this is not all that rare (it sure isn't for me).  The flower stalk will
eventually run a couple of feet, or find a way out of the aquarium where it
will put off very pretty white flowers. I keep mine in the tank and they put
off anywhere from three to five plantlets (maybe more if left alone). When
the plantlets' roots get to be about an inch long, I snip the plantlets off
the stalk and plant them. If you are careful, you can snip the plantlets
without cutting stalk.

The "mother" plants I have are very prolific and with lfs trade-ins, they
have just about paid for all of my other aquatic plants. For the APD readers
who are not familiar with this plant: this is a beautiful sword that does
not take over the tank. The ones I have grow to about 18 inches tall and
fill in the middle and background of a tank very nicely. I use laterite
balls, which seems to enhance the red spots on the leaves. I recommend this
sword to anyone who is tired of battling the "monster" swords that we have
all done battle with.

Regards,

Ken Guin
Kenguin at homemail_com