CO2 regulator to tank leaks

The regulators which I have seen all connect to the CO2 cylinder and are
sealed by a nylon disk. You should not put any teflon tape in this area.
It would only cause contamination from bits of tape going into the
regulator. The regulator must be removed regularly whenever the bottle
is refilled. Other joints can be left alone once assembled.

If you are using brass fittings to assemble, the system, you can tighten
them very tightly. If you do not use teflon tape, then you must tighten
them very well to ensure that there is no leak. These connections are
NPT or national pipe threads; they are tapered and designed to be
tightened to produce a seal.

The large nut which screws the regulator assembly onto the valve at the
top of the CO2 cylinder should not be over torqued. I would estimate
that about 20 foot-pounds of torque would be sufficient. If you can hear
a hiss; if the regulator won't hold its pressure when you close all the
valves; or if there are bubbles at the joint when you bubble test, then
tighten the regulator connection nut a little bit tighter until it seals
or replace the nylon sealing disk.

If the regulator is used and the seal is indented, you can and should
buy a new replacement seal. I've heard that the seal can be cracked by
over tightening; this should be visible by inspection.
--
Steve Pushak                              Vancouver, BC, CANADA

Visit "Steve's Aquatic Page"      http://home.infinet.net/teban/