Re: gluconate

>>Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 16:29:03 +0000
From: George Slusarczuk <yurko at warwick_net>
Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1117
I don't have any data on glucose/gluconic acid as a PLANT nutrient, but
BACTERIA will certainly love it! Gluconate will definitely increase both
the BOD (biological oxygen demand) and COD (chemical oxygen demand) of
the water.
In my mind it is an open question which is more harmful -- the added
anions (such as sulfate, chloride or bicarbonate) that would come with
addition of potassium in that form, or the food for bacteria that
gluconate (and possibly the binder) will provide.<<

I find this very interesting because I have been adding p.gluconate to a very densly planted tank with high intensity
lighting, but have suspected that I also have created a high BOD. But I am confused as to what form of K I should be
adding. I dont want to add nitrate...so that leaves sulfate? Murate of Potash? Is gluconate, gluconate? Is this the
same stuff in Seachems Flourish products?

Robert Paul H
http://www.aquabotanic.com