Re: sulfate, sulphate, sulfite

Dave G. was quick on the draw...

> To correct some misinformation on the list:
>
> Sulfate, sulfite and sulfide all refer to DIFFERENT anions, none of them
is
> a British spelling of another.   Source:  Handbook of Chemistry and
> Physics, 1959 edition but I don't think it has changed since then.
Moral:
>  Don't believe everything you read on this list.

Yea, ain't THAT the truth! Actually, I DID confuse sulfate with sulfite and
I can assure you it was a typo - I do know the difference between the two
ions. However, this is an INTERNATIONAL list, and NOT everyone on here
adheres to U.S. English spelling convention - my initial intent was to point
out that many words which are spelled in the U.S. with an "f" are spelled in
the rest of the English speaking world with a "ph" (as in sulfate and
sulphate). The words will look different but they refer to the same thing, -
American prejudice be damned. Moral - don't believe every correction you
read!

> Someone assured us that gluconate is inactive as far as plant nutrition
> goes.   I would say this is not proven.  Others believe that plants do a
> lot better with certain organics, including amino acids and hormones.  I
> would say not proven to that too.   I would love to see literature
> references in support of this idea if there are any.

Come on Dave, I'm a big boy - you KNOW who made the reference to gluconate -
I do have a name...

If you have ANY scientific information to share about plants requiring or
even being able to use gluconate, please share it with the rest of us.
Otherwise.....

> BTW, gluconate is the anion of gluconic acid (an organic acid similar
> (generally) to glucose).  C5H6(OH)5COOH is gluconic acid, C5H6(OH)5COO- is
> gluconate.  At least I believe this is correct, my biochem was from long
> long ago.

Thank you - I KNEW that someone would know the chemistry involved.

James Purchase
Toronto
Proudly mispelling the Queen's English!