Ca deficiency

While we're on the topic of deficiencies.  I thought I'd throw in a question
of my own.
(following Jennifer's example)
20 gallon high
pH 7.8 kH 8 gH 5
4W per gallon flourescent lighting
Nitrates 25 mg/l (high fish load)
Soil/Peat substrate (with some osmocote)
(obligatory image)
http://members.tripod.com/~SubmarinR/images/photos/close_echin.jpg

My pic is not near as good as Jennifer's, but you may notice the slightly
curving leaves of the sword plant to the right.
The mystery is that I've got a high gh/kh/ph that i have yet to be able to
reduce with CO2 additions.  In addition to the supposed Ca def. this
particular plant also shows signs of Mg def if i don't add a tsp (cut to 1/2
lately) of epsom salts weekly with the water changes (an important note i
left out of the above)
How is it that i can have such a high alkalinity/hardness and still observe
signs of both mg/ca deficiencies???
BTW the MgSO4 additios do make a diff. in the color of the sword plant, but
if i add too much a (seeming) K def develops in my alternathera.
(the pic of this is not very good, but you might be able to see the "burn
holes" which I equate with K def)
http://members.tripod.com/~SubmarinR/images/photos/alternathera.jpg
Any help would be appreciated.
Joe Anderson

Check Out The Newly Remodeled Joe's Aquatic Lounge
for pictures of my tanks and information on how to create your own
http://members.tripod.com/~SubmarinR