Re: Algae control

I concurr with George Booth's comment about Farlowella acus. They
are the best general green algae eaters. I have one which I switch
back and forth between two 30 gallon tanks. The water is mostly
kept between 76 F and 82 F, but he has survived several months in
a brightly lit tank with temperatures to 86 F and no filtration.

Of this fish, Baensch Atlas I states on page 488, "Unlike related
species, it does not live in fast-flowing water but in the flood
plains and bogs." The authors may or may not be correct. I have
found that this one specimen does fine with or without current.
The fish is a little less than two years old.

--
Dave Whittaker
Gloucester, Ontario