Re: Acid+dolomite CO2 generator

Roger Miller writes:

> The last time this came up I commented that I considered the design a
>  few times and couldn't think of a practical way to do it without using a
>  dosing pump to feed the acid.  Gravity feed alone couldn't be used because
>  the acid would have to drip into a pressurized container.
>
>  This afternoon in my office (while enjoying a MicroSoft moment - i.e.
>  downtime) it suddenly occured to me how the method might be made to work.
>
>  If a a gas line is run from the pressurized reactor to the top of the acid
>  reservoir there will be equal pressures in the acid reservoir and at the
>  acid outlet.  That way gravity feed should work.

Well, yea, that was my thought, too.  Simply put a tee in the line that goes
to the aquarium, and feed it back to the top of the acid jug.  So far, my
biggest issues have been draining the resultant CaCl2/H20 solution out the
bottom, and getting the drip started without filling my mouth with HCl.  As a
machinist, I could easily build a plastic float valve that I can place in the
bottom of the dolomite container.  As for starting the drip, I'm still
thinking about that one.

>  Of course, this will put some highly corrosive material under pressure,
>  with a chance for serious problems.  But, what the heck...

Built out of the right plastics, and placed on a stable surface under the
aquarium (preferably inside a cabinet-type stand) it shouldn't be a serious
concern.

Bob Dixon