Growing large amounts of Elodea

Howdy,

I am new to the list, and need some advice.  I work at a college Bio.
Dept., where we use a HUGE amount of Elodea for teaching plant biology
and basic microscopy.  We have been buying batches of Elodea every
semester, and to assist in my effort to get a tenure-track position, I
volunteered to grow the plants, so we wouldn't have to spend the money
on it. A quick inventory of existing equipment:

1 20 gallon long tank w/~3 inches plastic gravel
Hood with 1 flourescent fixture
Air pump
An ancient canister filter that I don't trust

I posted to rec.aquaria.misc and got some good advice, but some of it
was contradictory.  ANY help is appreciated.  TIA,

Chris Thompson