Re: Calcium issues

All-

This is a useful and well timed conversation for me, as I suspect I'm in the
same boat calcium-wise as Tom Brennan, with my super-soft NW water.  OK, I
get saturation point.  My question is this: How do I figure out how much in
the way of marble chips or oyster shell or whatever do I stick in the sump
of my 100 gallon to raise my calcium level a bit, but not bump the hardness
over about 4 or 5 degrees (Sorry about using degrees rather than ppm, but I
use a Sera test kit, so degrees are easier for me to think in).  The problem
I have is that I'm in the final stages of finishing my Bachelor's degree, so
I'm running around like a crazy person and don't have a lot of time to do
water tests, sleep, eat, breathe, etc.  I also use CO2 injection with a
Sandpoint controller, so my pH will stay at 6.8 until my water reaches
stupid-hard levels, unless I put time into paying attention to measuring it.
I'd really like to be able to put some chips in the tanks and forget about
them; is this a possibility?

Thanks,
Justin Collins, in Bellingham WA, where its finally sunny!