Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1068

-

>Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 15:30:14 -0700
>From: Dave Gomberg <gomberg at wcf_com>
>Subject: CO2 cost
>
>At 03:48 PM 6/2/99 -0400, Scott opined:
>> those ridiculously expensive CO2 systems that you high-tech junkies use
;-)
>>Scott
>
>OK, let's analyse it.
>
>Pressurized tank:  Cost for setup:  $100 20# tank, $80 high-pressure
>system, cost $180, lasts about 20 years (1 2mm bubble per second).  Add in
>labor at minimum wage of $5/hour, 1 hour per year, total cost $14 per year.
>
>DIY CO2:  Cost for setup $30 (for reactor, same price as above, all the
>rest is counted as free).  Yeast $.15 per week, sugar $.15 per week, labor
>5 minutes per week (all figured on biweekly restarts).  Cost per
>year=52*$.66+$30/20=$35.50
>
>Now which system is cheaper?   And will YOU work for minimum wage after the
>first year of washing out CO2 bottles?  And if you didn't even charge for
>labor, which system would be cheaper?
>
>===
>Dave Gomberg, San Francisco            mailto:gomberg at wcf_com
>Tropica MasterGrow in the USA!      http://www.wcf.com/tropica
>==============================

I have been reading about DIY CO2 system and have to agree with Dave
Gromberg....10 years ago I bought a C02 system at that
time ( and prices have not really changed) $75Cdn -5lb Co2 bottle, $75 for
regulator (no needle valve)...a few more $ for Co2 tubing.
There is more cost if you wish bubble counters, check valves and reactors
however you can make substitutes or modify existing equipment.
I have to fill the tank twice a year (350L tank, 6X40W flouresents, Dupla
Style) about $10/fill. The CO2 is on 24hrs/day .
The great thing about it is no mess/no fuss, just change the tank, set the
bubble rate...and that is pretty well it for 6 months.
I use the Dulpa CO2 test bell...a little device that sits in your tank ( a
small buble dome) and indicates the PH level by colour, to monitor the
PH level.

William Lynn