No Subject

"David Robinson" wrote:

> Several digests ago (1054) while discussing DIY yeast reactors,
> Tom Barr wrote:
> > Be sure to use a ridged bottle !!!!!!!!!! Not a flimsy 2 liter
> > pop bottle. You'll be very sorry if ya don't! Noncollapsable
> > bottles are the way to go using yeast.
>
> I just wanted to clarify... what is the definition of a "rigid"
> bottle?  In the past, I've used standard 2-liter pop bottles
> without any troubles.  I consider these rigid because they hold
> their form when empty.  However, since they are made of plastic
> they are easily collapsable if you squeeze them.  Are these the
> ones that are not recommended?
>
> If so, has anyone had any experiences where these bottles
> exploded?
>
> "Standard" 2-liter pop bottles (I can only speak for those that
> I'm familiar with in the US) are designed to hold up under
> pressure since pop is pressurized.  A DIY yeast reactor should
> be very low pressure (only the amount of pressure required to
> equilize at the depth the output is placed in the aquarium +
> any backpressure that might exist depending on your setup).
>
> So, I wouldn't think these would be a problem.  I'd like to know
> if my thinking is flawed and I've been waiting for a disaster
> to happen.

I second with you. I also got the advice to use rigid glass bottles
instead of plastic soda bottles. But in my view glass is less safe
since it can break. Plastic is unbreakable and these soda bottles
are designed to hold under much larger pressures than an open-end
yeast reactor can ever produce. I don't think you have any potential
disaster lurking around.

-Ivo Busko
 Baltimore, MD