Re: Micro Plant Tank

Jeff,

I have 6 small planted tanks, ranging in size from 2.5 to 10 gallons.
They're basically set up per Karen Randall's writings (check the
archives, AFM, and maybe Aquarium Frontiers on line). The one's that are
filtered (most aren't), use Whisper Mini's, not internals. The 2.5 & 5.5
gallon ones contain one male Betta and some MTS's. The 10 gallon ones
contain a few small fish like White Clouds, a couple of Cory's, and
MTS's.
Plants are pretty much what you mention. The dwarf Crypt that I use is
Petchii.

Scale your substrate according to the size of the tank. A 2.5 gallon
doesn't need a 3" substrate.

For lighting, most use desk lamps. A few are on a counter, and use a
common 48" shop light, that's approx. 12" above the surface.

I've had less trouble with these tanks, than any of my others. Probably,
because of the low fish load. But more importantly, I leave them alone.

Augie Eppler
Green Cove Springs, Fl.