DIY CO2 and asphyxiated fish

The first concrete results of my DIY CO2 experiment were visible this
morning: four dead Debauwi cats (Eutropiellus buffei). Their mouths were
wide open in the piscine version of Munch's "The Scream." pH was down to
5.5. The other fish in the tank were also obviously in distress. A costly
experiment. I think that from now on I will leave the spray bar just above
water level and let it create better aeration, even if that allows most of
the CO2 to escape. Healthy plants are nice but healthy fish are nicer.

Dinyar