Re: DIY CO2

>Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 08:53:33 -0400 (EDT)
>From: busko at stsci_edu (Ivo Busko)
>Subject: re:DIY CO2
>
> >2) Would a check valve help if it were to be paced below the
> >aquarium?
>
>I don't use one. I found it tends to block the CO2 flow, resulting
>in infrequent but large bubbles. And why one is necessary anyway ?

Ivo,

After having 20 gallons of water on my carpeted floor one time, I
strongly recommend having a check valve.  What happened, as well as
I can piece it together, was this:  I removed the CO2 bottle and took
it to the sink for a refill.  Then I got distracted and left it there
for about an hour.  Meanwhile, because of capillary action, the tank
water crept up the CO2 line, then the line slipped out of the tank
a few inches (there was some slack), bringing this section of water
out and below the tank's water level.  A siphoning action started.
When I came back, about a quarter of my 75-gallon tank was empty and
the carpet was soaked.

I tested the theory by intentionally yanking a few inches of the CO2
line out of the tank and downward quickly, and indeed it worked.  I could
start a siphoning action this way (capillary action may not be needed at
all, actually).

Well, it may or may not have been the exact mechanism for that event,
but accidents do happen, and therefore I strongly recommend a check
valve.  I had no problem with having enough CO2 pressure to overcome a
check valve and an airstone.

Hoa

Hoa G. Nguyen
Freshwater Planted Aquarium:  http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/