Re: gravel cleaning??

>  "A M Moore" wrote:
> >Subject: `New` Tetra Gravel Cleaner
> >
> >Has anyone come across the `new` Tetra Gravel cleaner ?  Just got it in the
> >UK and what a piece of kit !
> <snip>
> >I realise you have probably had this unit for years in the states, but,
> >someone has obviously put alot of thought into the design of this gravel
> >cleaner and it works very well.
>
> There seems to be quite a bit of interest in gravel "cleaning" lately.
> Unless you are simply sucking debris off the surface why would you be
> interested in cleaning the gravel in a planted aquarium? If you are
> vacuuming the gravel you are doing your plants no favours and probably
> removing stuff they need/like. Relax... let your gravel get "dirty". <g>
>
> Olga
> in Vancouver where I gave up gravel vacuuming years ago.

You can vacuum up a think layer of the visible gravel that looks dirty
and replace with new clean gravel by sprinking newer gravel over these
areas.

I simply sprinkle a thin layer of new gravel over the existing visible
areas and the tank look like its been "cleaned". Just like new....

After 4 years the substrate still doesn't look too thick..

Cheers
--
Raj, vu2zap
Bangalore, South India